Latest Movie :

Pirates of the Caribean: Legend of 10 Wasted Dollars

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Starring: Johnny Depp, Orlando Bloom, Keira Knightly

Okay, let me start off by saying I was not much of a fan of the original Pirates of Caribean. It was okay but I felt it could have been done much better with a few minor tweaks. Going into the second film I thought perhaps they might change a few of the things from the first film to really improve upon it. Mostly though they just lazily coast by on the success of the first film here.

One of the things they didn't change was the overlong running time, maybe it's just me but a movie really has to have some sort of substance to keep your attention for two hours and thirty minutes. Believe me there is no substance here, none of the returning characters have changed in any way and the new characters motivations are never fully explained.

For example the setup for the film is that Will and Elizabeth are to be married when suddenly they are arrested for aiding in the escape of Jack Sparrow in the first film. The only way out the arrest is for Will to find Jack and return his compass which always points to the dead man's chest. Here's the problem we never know how this man knows of the chest or the compass or why all the sudden he has this uncontrollable desire for it. He is basically a human plot device as many of the characters are.

I don't want to give away most of the plot suffice it to say that it is a rambling excuse for people to run around looking for a chest. Which would be okay if the action scenes were so breathtaking as to make you not care about the plot but there not. Alot of them are overlong slapstick style action sequences.

With all of that said there are some good things about the movie. The CGI is really well done especially with the giant squid Kraken. The exotic locales look authentic and the music is really well done. Johny Depp's hamming it up can be amusing at times although he is not given as many good lines as in the last movie. Davey Jones is a suitable villain although we don't learn much about his motivation.

All in all though that's just not enough to save the film because the plot makes you lose complete interest about halfway through. Overall this movie just seems like a setup for the story they really want to tell which is the third installment. You can buy Pirates of the Caribean: Dead Man's Chest on DVD or Blu-ray at our store.



Share this article :

+ comments + 4 comments

Anonymous
April 26, 2010 at 10:15 AM

This review sums up what I think about this movie also, especially the slapstick style actions scenes. However, I think I still liked it more than you. The great set pieces like the Kraken and Jone and his crew as well as the increasing sea mythology were able to win me over a little more than they did with you.

May 15, 2010 at 9:01 PM

I enjoyed this critique. I agreed with you on most of what you said but I liked Pirates2 OK, especially when compared with #3. Did you even see that one?

The movie is directed by Gore Verbinski. I watched it last night and seriously enjoyed it. It is 169 minute movie made in dutch and english.

Anonymous
October 12, 2013 at 1:35 PM

I am really loving the theme/design of your web site. Do you ever run into any web
browser compatibility issues? A small number of my blog readers
have complained about my blog not operating correctly in Explorer but
looks great in Opera. Do you have any advice to help fix this issue?


Also visit my blog ... Eugene limousines

Post a Comment

 
Support : Creating Website | Johny Template | Mas Template
Copyright © 2011. Blog Anything Movies - All Rights Reserved
Template Created by Creating Website Published by Mas Template
Proudly powered by Blogger